Whether saving for a rainy day, a down payment, or planning a vacation, even a small amount of extra money can make a big difference. A side hustle is a great way to make additional income and gain financial freedom.
Ideally, the right side hustle should match your skills, passions, and lifestyle. It’s about striking a healthy balance between making money and maintaining your sanity. If you enjoy what you do, finding this balance becomes easier, making the side hustle a positive part of your life rather than a burden.
In this article, we’ll show you how to make extra income by exploring various options, so you can find the one that’s right for you.
How to Make Extra Income While Working Full-Time: 20 Money-Making Ideas
As inflation rises, so does the popularity of various side hustle ideas. For some, a side hustle is an economic necessity, while others view it as a way to pursue their passion, develop new skills, and earn extra income in their spare time.
Whatever your financial goals, here are 20 time-tested ways to make extra money. While all of these require time, they’re well worth the effort.
Open an Online Store With Print on Demand
With the print-on-demand business model, anyone can make money online without any investment, inventory, or logistical troubles.
It’s a modern order fulfillment method for entrepreneurs to create, design, and sell one-of-a-kind products. The supplier does everything else – printing, packaging, and shipping directly to the customer.
Print on Demand is the way to go if you’re interested in making a passive income. A great spare-time side hustle.
Advantages of Print on Demand
Print on Demand is a beginner-friendly business model that’s easy to start, manage, and scale. Anyone can easily design and sell dropshipping products.
You pay for the products only after a sale is completed, so there’s no need to invest in inventory, storage space, or to worry about losing money.
Entrepreneurs initially need to invest in setting up a store and managing online marketing. Afterward, the business continues to generate revenue without much effort.
Entrepreneurs can sell various print-on-demand products – from apparel to accessories to pet supplies, appealing to a wide audience.
Stand out by designing original products. With exclusive designs, it’s easier to make money.
Start a Print-on-Demand Business Today!
Become a Freelancer
Technology brings a world of opportunities when it comes to making extra money online. From local businesses to big corporations, many are looking to hire freelancers in different disciplines.
Whether it’s freelance writing, photography, or graphic design, there are a variety of platforms that connect freelancers with clients.
- Fiverr. A great website for freelance writers, editors, designers, and virtual assistants, the platform streamlines interactions between freelancers and business owners.
- Upwork. One of the best freelance job sites. After creating a profile, freelancers can wait to be discovered or respond directly to job posts.
- Printify Experts. If your calling is graphic design, store-front setup, or digital marketing, become a Printify expert. After our vetting process, we’ll add your name to our list of industry experts so you can secure new clients and earn money.
- 99designs. An online marketplace for graphic design services. 99designs helps freelancers find clients and become a part of a global community.
Freelance writing, photography, and videography are great side hustles that anyone can do from home in their spare time, choosing the frequency of projects to fit their schedule.
Create an Online Course
In a world where learning has become a necessity rather than a luxury, sharing your knowledge is a fulfilling way to earn more money.
- Skillshare. A learning community for creatives and experts to earn extra money by creating, publishing, and promoting classes on a wide variety of topics.
- Udemy. One of the largest online learning marketplaces, Udemy has 57 million students. The company provides resources on how to create courses and a Market Insights tool that helps instructors find profitable topics.
- Teachable. A platform to create courses, sell digital downloads, and host virtual coaching.
Industry experts predict that the global e-learning market will reach almost $400 billion by 2026.
It’s up to you to create an online video course that brings people value. Making good money won’t be hard if you’re an experienced professional with useful skills.
Rent Out Property
While not an option for everyone, those lucky enough to have a property to rent can easily earn passive income.
Two widely-known platforms for renting private accommodation.
- Booking.com. One of the world’s largest travel marketplaces, the platform enables properties to reach a worldwide audience.
- Airbnb. With more than 1.4 billion guest arrivals worldwide, Airbnb is one of the most popular online rental marketplaces.
Note that renting a property comes with risks – difficult tenants, property damage, and legal issues. Carefully screen potential tenants, draw up a clear rental agreement, and have insurance.
Participate in Online Surveys
Participating in online surveys is a go-to option for many – a no-cost side hustle. While the earnings are small, so is the required effort. You’ll only need time, a smartphone, and an internet connection.
Many companies pay for an opinion on various products or services, to find out what customers think.
Here are two popular survey sites.
- Swagbucks. With over 33,000 reviews and a TrustPilot rating of ‘Excellent’, Swagbucks is a popular online rewards program. Answer surveys, watch videos, and perform other tasks to earn points that you can redeem for gift cards or get cash back.
- Survey Junkie. Another popular survey site also rated ‘Excellent’ on Trustpilot, which pays for sharing opinions on products and services. It’s free, so you can start as soon as you confirm your email and complete your profile.
When looking for options, carefully research the company and read third-party reviews to make sure it’s trustworthy.
Drive for Uber or Lyft
Make and Sell Crafts Online
Industry experts predict the global arts and crafts market will grow to $50.9 billion by 2024, providing opportunities for making crafts.
If you’ve dreamed of a small side hustle, selling crafts on Etsy is the right option. With over 96.34 million active buyers, finding customers for your original crafts isn’t hard.
If you prefer digital art, there’s a simple way to enter the crafty world of Etsy and make money – design, create, and sell original products with Print on Demand.
Become an English Tutor
If you’re good at English and love working with people, tutoring others is a rewarding way to earn extra cash.
- Preply. A great platform to teach English online. The company offers a steady stream of new students, convenient payment methods, professional development webinars, and a supportive community.
- Wyzant. A tutoring platform connecting tutors with students worldwide, providing a hassle-free way to teach and get paid.
Tutors have the flexibility to work in their own time, fitting sessions around their full-time job.
Sell Photos Online
The best extra income ideas are those that align with your interests. If you’re passionate about photography, selling photos online is another no-cost side hustle idea.
A variety of companies search for photos for their social media, eCommerce stores, and advertising campaigns.
Invest in Stocks
Investing may be the best way to earn passive income. With the help of a professional investment broker, the stock market has the potential to provide a good return on investment.
If you know the financial market well, you can try online investment platforms like Robinhood or Acorns. Keep in mind that investing comes with risks and complexity, so do your research before making any decisions.
Become a Food Delivery Driver
Rent Out Your Car
If you have an idle car sitting in the driveway, consider renting it through sites like Turo.
You’ll have to pay for upkeep, insurance, and cleaning, but the income you gain should offset these costs.
Become a Streamer
As a side hustle, streaming can be very profitable. Whatever you enjoy – playing games, singing, or teaching yoga – there’s an audience for any type of content.
- Twitch. Enjoy games, vocal performances, and creative content. Fans are happy to support their favorite streamers.
- YouTube. To monetize your YouTube channel, use the YouTube Super Chat. Viewers can pay to highlight their message during streams.
Once you build a devoted following, earn money via donations, brand partnerships, and selling fan merch.
Rent Out Your Tools and Equipment
If you have idle equipment, consider joining the sharing economy by renting out what you aren’t using, and helping others to get the job done.
With a quick Google search, you can find local platforms that provide various rental services, from camera equipment to construction tools. The idea is simple – rent commonly needed tools and equipment hourly, daily, or weekly.
Try Real Estate Investing
Buying a small property to fix up, rent, or resell is a great way to earn money.
Try platforms like Fundrise, which Business Insider named as one of the best real estate investing apps of 2023. With these apps, even people who don’t have a large down payment can start investing in commercial real estate.
When choosing a platform, diligently research the company and go through third-party reviews to avoid any problems or financial loss.
Offer Pet Sitting or Dog Walking Services
When pet owners go on a vacation, they will pay good money for someone trustworthy to pet sit while they’re away. If you love animals, this may be the right side hustle for you – walk dogs, watch cats, or take care of exotic pets.
Become a Mystery Shopper
A mystery shopper is a person who provides feedback about their experience in the company’s store. Typically, it involves purchasing items and completing a survey.
As companies strive to improve the shopping experience, becoming a mystery shopper is an easy way to earn money. You can find local companies that hire mystery shoppers with a quick search. Sign up and follow their instructions.
Try to carefully vet the companies to avoid scams by examining their website and reading third-party reviews.
Get a Part-Time Job
Start a Blog or YouTube Channel
Become a Virtual Assistant
Start a Print-on-Demand Business Today!
Day Job vs Side Hustle Income
As costs of living rise, Americans are searching for opportunities to supplement their full-time income. 44% have a side hustle, earning an average of $473 a month.
If a day job doesn’t provide the chance for extra income, a side hustle makes sense.
- Additional income for living expenses
- More savings for unexpected events
- Faster debt payoff
Today there are plenty of side hustle options, allowing people to choose the one that fits their lifestyle best.
Start Making Extra Money With Printify
With Printify, anyone can start a profitable side hustle without any upfront investment, inventory, or logistical worries.
With just a few clicks, you can add products to your store for the whole world to see. We offer seamless integrations with the world’s most popular sales channels.
When you make a sale, our Print Providers print, package, and ship the order to your customer.
A Few Closing Thoughts
To find the best way to make extra income while working full-time, carefully weighing the options is key. Not every opportunity is a good fit. Let your unique combination of skills, interests, and strengths guide you.
With the right mindset, anyone can discover the right side hustle for them and make money by doing what they love.
Start a Print-on-Demand Business Today!
Share the article