Europe’s booming eCommerce market, predicted to hit $483.8 billion by 2023, presents a golden opportunity in Print on Demand.
Increasingly favored for its low manufacturing cost, convenience, and scope, Print on Demand allows selling custom products without managing inventory. Once a US trend, POD has expanded into Europe, enabling designs on various items, from clothing to accessories.
If you want to begin a print-on-demand business in Europe, this guide will help you understand the necessary steps:
- account setup,
- listing creation,
- product presentation,
- custom integrations,
- the importance of working with a European warehouse,
- store optimization,
- and answering common questions,
while outlining the benefits of partnering with Printify and its incredible online platform to help you take your brand to new horizons.
- Benefits Of Starting a POD Business In Europe With Printify
- Guide to Starting a Print-on-Demand Business in Europe
- Set Up Your Printify Account and Store Page
- Create Your Listings
- How to Decide Your Listings for Europe?
- Make Your Products Look Great
- Metric System is King
- Optimize and Promote Your Store
- European Print Providers to Choose From
- 6 Things to Consider When Choosing Print-on-Demand Europe Suppliers
- Taxes in Europe
- Frequently Asked Questions
Benefits of Starting a POD Business in Europe With Printify
Printify offers over 850 high-quality blank products, including t-shirts, hoodies, mugs, phone cases, and more, allowing you to provide a diverse product assortment and cater to a larger customer base.
Printify integrates with many popular eCommerce marketplaces, including Walmart, Shopify, and Etsy, making it easy to set up your online store and start selling custom products in just a few clicks.
At Printify, we’ve always had and always will have a no-minimum order policy, meaning if you want to order just one pair of custom all-over-print socks, you can.
Printify offers affordable pricing for healthy profits. Enjoy low product costs, a profitable on-demand business model, and pay only when orders are placed.
Launch a European print-on-demand company with Printify to access a diverse market of 745 million potential customers, offering ample growth opportunities.
Printify’s fulfillment network provides fast, efficient shipping in Europe and globally. Using local Print Providers reduces shipping times and costs, enhancing customer satisfaction and loyalty.
Make It Happen Today!
Guide to Starting a Print-on-Demand Europe-Based Business
Select Your Market
Before diving into the world of Print-on-Demand, you must first choose a niche or target market.
What is a niche? It’s a targeted segment of a broader market, catering to specific product or service demands, preferences, and characteristics, for example, artisanal cheese, techno music, ice fishing, or cat moms.
Establishing a niche allows businesses to gain competitive advantages. When deciding on a niche, pay attention to these factors:
- Geographics – specific cities, countries, or neighborhoods
- Psychographics – attitudes, values, interests
- Demographics – age, gender, education, income
- Price – discounted, moderate, luxury
- Quality – economic, handmade, premium
Establishing a successful niche for your Print-on-Demand Europe-based business requires research. Analyze existing markets to identify potential segments with accessible customers, manageable competition, and growth opportunities.
Do Market Research
Now that you’ve decided on the niche of your online business, perform market research to see how your niche is doing and what’s in store for the future. See trending items and what doesn’t sell so well, so you’re fully prepared to sell the best print-on-demand products that have a hungry audience for them.
Implement these fundamental strategies for a successful European print-on-demand venture:
- Detect prevailing trends by analyzing European marketplaces like eBay, Etsy, and Amazon. Use tools like Google Trends, Ahrefs, Semrush, and BuzzSumo to grasp consumer interests, assisting in niche selection.
- Define your target audience. Concentrate on potential customers for efficiency. Conduct demographic research to understand online purchasing patterns across Europe and create products that resonate with a broader audience.
- Leverage social platforms like Facebook, Reddit, and Quora or survey tools like Crowdsignal and Google Forms to gather insights.
- Analyze reviews and feedback from your competitors’ products. This will provide valuable insights into what customers like and don’t like about similar products, allowing you to create unique products that stand out in the crowd.
Remember that people in European countries and their mentalities are different from Americans, and the same goes for their tastes in product designs.
Set Up Your Printify Account and Store Page
Sign up for free using a valid email address and create a strong password. Alternatively, use your Google credentials to create an account.
Set up your Printify account by providing contact details, business information, and a payment method. A payment method is necessary because Printify can’t directly access funds from your sales channel.
Creating a store and connecting with Printify is a seamless process that brings your business vision to life. Let’s dive in:
- Start by establishing your store. Choose a platform that resonates with your business needs and audience. Popular options include Shopify, Prestashop, Wix, and Etsy. Consider factors like user-friendliness, customization, and audience reach.
Need help determining which option is best for your business? Read our comparison guide or watch the video:
- Connect your store with Printify. In your Printify dashboard, next to your profile, select Add a new store, select the eCommerce platform or marketplace you’re using for your print-on-demand store, and follow the on-screen prompts. The integration is streamlined to ensure a smooth connection.
Voila! Your print-on-demand business is now connected to Printify. With a world of unique products at your fingertips, you’re ready to captivate your audience and transform your entrepreneurial dreams into reality. Don’t just sell. Sell with style and ease.
Watch this video to learn how to connect your Printify account to an Etsy store for starting a print-on-demand Europe-based store.
Another way to create a store is with the Printify API, which is suitable for more digitally experienced entrepreneurs. It can be seamlessly incorporated into custom-built websites, apps, or other third-party platforms.
After connecting your store to Printify, ensure you set up shipping fees according to Printify’s rates to charge customers correctly.
For Etsy or eBay, shipping rates are automatically applied to published products. Remember sales tax and/or VAT regulations based on your customers’ locations. Browse our tax articles to learn about your potential obligations when you ship worldwide.
Make It Happen Today!
Create Your Listings
Step 1: Pick Your Products
Kickstart your print-on-demand Europe-based journey by selecting from hundreds of products available on Printify. Our product vault offers nearly everything – apparel, home decor, games, prints, pet items, accessories, and a lot more. Filter the products by criteria important to you, pick your favorites, and click Start designing.
Step 2: Add Your Design
Bring your ideas to life using our Mockup Generator. Infuse creativity with features such as pattern creation, fit and fill, and directional scaling and benefit from the improved text editor and layer alignment tools. If you’re low on inspiration, our free Graphics Library empowers you to create detailed, high-quality designs in multiple printing options effortlessly.
Step 3: List Your Products Online
Now, get ready to list your products online. Decide on your profit margins, and remember, including shipping costs in the price often makes it appear more appealing to customers. Your product listings should be compelling and enriched with high-quality images and detailed descriptions. Use relevant keywords to improve searchability and attract potential customers.
How to Decide on Your Listings for Europe?
Deciding what products to add to your eCommerce store is critical in launching a successful print-on-demand Europe-based business. Fortunately, print-on-demand sites, and especially Printify, offer a wide range of awesome custom products to help you stand out and increase sales.
Consider Printing Methods
Examining different printing options when selecting products for your store is essential. Various techniques, such as direct-to-film (DTF), direct-to-garment (DTF), sublimation, or all-over printing, offer different aesthetic results and impact the durability and perceived value of the product.
Stay Ahead With Trends
Ensure that your print-on-demand product offerings align with current trends. Keeping an eye on pop culture, fashion, and design trends can provide inspiration for your products, making them more desirable to your target audience.
Leverage Seasonal Events
Maximize your sales by offering products themed around seasonal events. Global festivals, holidays, and seasonal changes present opportunities for themed merchandise, potentially boosting your customer engagement and sales during these periods.
Utilize the Printify Catalog Effectively
Explore Printify’s Catalog to unlock a world of possibilities. Apart from the broad product categories, take advantage of specific subcategories like New Arrivals, Eco-friendly, and Bestsellers. This lets you stay current with the latest product offerings and customer preferences.
The Importance of Choosing European Suppliers
- Lower Shipping Costs. Choosing European print-on-demand companies can significantly decrease your shipping expenses for European customers, as shipping costs depend mostly on distance. Local production can lead to more cost-effective distribution.
- Quicker Delivery Times. When your suppliers are based in Europe, delivering orders to your customers within the continent takes less time. A shorter delivery window enhances customer satisfaction and encourages repeat business.
- Enhanced Sustainability. Opting for European print-on-demand services allows you to minimize the distance your products need to travel, thereby reducing your carbon footprint. Showcasing this sustainable business practice could serve as a key selling point, appealing to Europe’s growing number of eco-conscious consumers.
Incorporate European Holidays and Celebrations
When choosing products and designs for your eCommerce business, research major European celebrations and holidays to tap into seasonal trends and boost sales. Evaluate existing products for European appeal and consider creating new designs or adjusting current ones.
Remember that not all European countries share the same purchasing power, so affordability may vary across the continent. Catering to these diverse markets can help you reach a wider customer base and increase sales.
Make It Happen Today!
Make Your Print-on-Demand Products Look Great
Follow the Design requirements
- High-Quality Images. If you expect high-quality products, use hi-res images to ensure your design looks crisp and clear when printed.
- Proper Sizing and Scaling. The print size of a design should fit the entire print area of the product.
- Avoid Certain Areas. If your product has zippers or pockets, it’s best to avoid placing designs on these areas.
- Design Placement for Different Sizes. Designs may look different on different product sizes (S, M, L, XL, etc.).
- Color Considerations. Colors may appear differently on a screen compared to a physical print. Be mindful of the color spectrum used in printing (CMYK) vs what is used on a screen (RGB).
- File Formats. Use versatile print file formats compatible with the printing process. The most common file types are PNG and JPEG. Some printers also accept other formats, like SVG.
- Text Considerations. If your design includes text, ensure it’s readable and clear. Small text may not print well, and overly complex fonts may lose their detail.
Check out our Design Guide to better understand the guidelines and tips to create unique custom products with vivid and crisp prints.
Source Your Designs
- Self-creation. Use tools like Canva or Photoshop for personalized designs.
- Shutterstock x Printify. Access a vast library of quality designs and images starting at just $2.
- Free Graphics Library. Utilize the free Mockup Generator’s graphics library for awesome images.
- Outsourcing. Hire a designer from platforms like Fiverr if you need more design skills or time.
Consider Bleed Areas
Bleed areas ensure your design fully covers the product, leaving no unprinted spaces. The three areas are:
- Safe Area. The space for important design elements.
- Print Area. The white space that your design should cover.
- Bleed Area. Your design should also cover the outer boundary to ensure full coverage.
Metric System is King
When selling products by European print-on-demand suppliers, it’s essential to remember that customers there use the metric system, which can be confusing if you’re used to working with inches.
To ensure that your customers have a pleasant shopping experience, converting all your print-on-demand product measurements from inches to centimeters is not only a good idea – but an absolute necessity.
Provide a comprehensive size chart that will increase sales and reduce returns. At Printify, we understand the importance of delivering accurate product measurements, so our size guides for each product have measurements in both inches and centimeters, and you can easily toggle between them.
Optimize and Promote Your Store
Make your store visually appealing, user-friendly, and SEO-optimized. This means creating various banners, choosing themes, and other visual representation materials. You should also include clear product descriptions, professional images, and engaging calls-to-action (CTA) to convert visitors into customers.
Effective promotion is key to drawing potential customers to your print-on-demand Europe-based business. Use social media, email marketing, and paid advertising to increase your store’s reach by displaying your page and products uniquely.
Hiring an Expert
If you need help with store setup, design, or marketing, consider hiring an expert through the Printify Experts Program. By connecting with these professionals, you can save time, access valuable resources, and focus on your strengths – running a print-on-demand Europe-based business.
European Print Providers to Choose From
Make It Happen Today!
6 Things to Consider When Choosing Print-on-Demand Europe Suppliers
- Geo-routing. Opt for a print-on-demand company with fulfillment centers in strategic locations to ensure faster shipping and lower costs for your European customers. European warehouses will always be a more financially viable source than overseas ones.
- EUR support. Select a printing partner that accepts euros, streamlining purchases for European customers. Cater to 19 euro-using countries, providing familiar pricing that encourages informed, confident buying decisions.
- Product range. Consider the product variety they offer to cater to more customers and niches. Best print-on-demand practices teach us to always include at least one t-shirt, as it is the most popular garment in the world.
- Print quality. Look for a print-on-demand service known for delivering high-quality prints and consistent results to maintain customer satisfaction. You can check the print-on-demand supplier’s rating under each product in the Catalog.
- Sustainability. Consider a provider with eco-friendly products and practices, as European consumers are increasingly conscious of environmental impact.
- Printing methods. European POD warehouses and printing partners use several different printing methods for creating custom print products:
- Direct-to-garment printing or DTG
- Direct-to-film printing or DTF
- All-over-print (AOP) aka sublimation
For more information on selecting the best Print Provider, check out our comprehensive guide.
Taxes in Europe by Country
Expanding a print-on-demand service in Europe requires compliance with legal requirements, and each country has its laws and regulations. Here are a few examples of legal requirements that entrepreneurs should keep in mind when operating in the European Union.
First, there is the Value Added Tax (VAT), which applies to all commercial activities involving producing and distributing goods in the EU. For Printify customers, VAT applies to orders fulfilled at their European location with an end address in the European Union.
Note. However, this tax doesn’t apply to orders fulfilled in the US or shipped to non-EU member states. Entrepreneurs should be aware of these requirements to avoid any legal issues.
The second crucial regulation is the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), a data privacy law that protects the personal data of EU individuals. The GDPR applies to all businesses that operate in and have ties to the EU, even if they aren’t in the EU.
Therefore, US-based businesses with EU customers must comply with the GDPR. Ignoring these requirements could result in legal penalties, so entrepreneurs should proactively address them.
Third, don’t forget the corporate tax. A corporate tax is a charge on a company’s net income or profit. These taxes fund public services, infrastructure, and government projects.
- In Germany, the corporate tax rate is 29.9%, and the sales tax rate is 19%. Companies that sell goods or services in Germany must register for VAT and charge this tax on their sales.
- Latvia has a corporate tax rate of 20% and a sales tax rate of 21%. Companies must register for VAT if their taxable turnover exceeds a certain threshold.
- France has different corporate tax rates for large and small companies, with 26.5% for large companies and 15% for small companies. The sales tax rate is 20%, and companies must register for VAT if their turnover exceeds a certain threshold.
- In Spain, the corporate tax rate is 25%, and the sales tax rate is 21%. Companies must register for VAT if their annual turnover exceeds a certain threshold.
- Italy has a corporate tax rate of 24% and a sales tax rate of 22%. Companies must register for VAT if they’re engaged in economic activity in Italy and meet certain turnover thresholds.
- The Netherlands has a corporate tax rate of 25% for profits above €245,000 and 15% for profits up to €245,000. The sales tax rate is 21%, and companies must register for VAT if their turnover exceeds a certain threshold.
- Poland has a corporate tax rate of 19% and a sales tax rate of 23%. Companies must register for VAT if they meet certain turnover thresholds.
- In the Czech Republic, the corporate tax rate is 19%, and the standard VAT rate is 21%, with reduced rates of 15% or 10% for certain goods and services.
- Slovenia has a corporate tax rate of 19% and a standard VAT rate of 22%, with reduced rates of 9.5% for certain goods and services.
Print-on-Demand Dropshipping in Europe: FAQs
Yes, dropshipping is legal in Europe, just like in other parts of the world. However, it’s essential to follow local regulations and tax laws and adhere to consumer protection laws in the countries you operate.
To see all European Print Providers that Printify is working with, visit our Print Providers page, where you can filter dropshippers by country and see what products they offer.
There isn’t a single “best” country for dropshipping in Europe, as the ideal country depends on your target market, product selection, and shipping preferences. Factors to consider include the size of the eCommerce market, economic growth, and shipping infrastructure – whether international shipping is available, etc.
Rules for Print-on-Demand dropshipping in Europe vary depending on the country. Generally, you should comply with local tax laws, consumer protection laws, and customs regulations. Register your business, collect and remit taxes (such as VAT) as required, and ensure product quality and safety. It’s important to research and understand the specific rules in each country where you plan to operate your dropshipping business.
Start Selling Custom Products with Printify
Printify is a comprehensive solution for launching an eCommerce venture in Europe and beyond. We simplify the launch process by offering awesome print-on-demand products, competitive shipping rates, custom branding options, various printing options, major sales channel integrations, and a European POD network – all without you storing products and having unsold stock.
Stop dreaming of financial freedom – start your print-on-demand business today. With Printify, turn your own designs into a successful online brand and realize your entrepreneurial ambitions.
Make It Happen Today!
Share the article