A few weeks ago Facebook made an announcement – they are changing the algorithm for the News Feed. As online entrepreneur you should also ask – how does this influence my business?
Why is Facebook doing this?
“ We built Facebook to help people stay connected and bring us closer together with the people that matter to us. That’s why we’ve always put friends and family at the core of the experience. [..] Recently we’ve gotten feedback from our community that public content – posts from businesses, brands and media – is crowding out the personal moments that lead us to connect more with each other. [..] You’ll see less public content like posts from businesses, brands, and media.”Mark Zuckerberg
How important is Facebook?
72% of people living in North America have a Facebook account.
According to Pew Research Center, ¾ of Facebook users use Facebook every day, and Facebook reported that their active user base has grown over 2 billion. Facebook is the place where people hang out online, it’s a noteworthy time of your potential customers day when you can reach them with your message.
What are the consequences?
Connecting with people that you care about is important, but how about growing your business? Does this mean that you’ll have less opportunity to promote your store on Facebook?
These news have taken over the industry and everyone who’s anyone in marketing – is talking about it. Most marketers aren’t perceiving these news very well.
Limiting the amount of company news on your News Feed means less ad space for businesses. If demand stays the same, but supply significantly decreases, we can expect higher costs for Facebook ads.
Continue promoting on Facebook?
These changes don’t mean that you should stop promoting your business on Facebook, however using Facebook as your main customer acquisition channel might not be as effective as before. In order to adapt to these changes and don’t lose customers in this situation, you need to find new ways that work for your business.
Ideas to retain Facebook effectiveness for your ads:
1. Try to gather likes and comments for your posts & ads before putting bigger budgets in them – this will result in potentially higher reach.
2. Target facebook friends of people who like your page. This is very effective way to build possible target audience, and, in most cases, results in higher engagement rates.
3. Promoting on Facebook Groups where your target audience is will become even more effective than before, because new algorithm won’t change for groups.
Another thing is making sure that you make the right settings and choices in the process of creating your Facebook Ads, AdEspresso has this article on 10 Brain Dead Facebook Ad Mistakes – might come in hand.
However, results from Facebook ads will decrease and you should look into other options for customer acquisition.
What are other options?
Is there any other customer acquisition channels & tactics that you can trust as much as you trusted Facebook? Yes, and as supply from Facebook decreases, other companies will increase their offer.
Fun facts about other social networks:
1. According to recode, 44% of teenagers if “trapped on a deserted island” would chose Snapchat.
3. YouTube overall, and even YouTube on mobile alone, reaches more 18-49 year-olds than any cable network in the US. YouTube has over a billion users — almost one-third of all people on the Internet — and each day those users watch a billion hours of video, generating billions of views.
4. 93% of Pinterest users use the platform to plan or make purchases and Pinterest drives 25% of all retail website referral traffic.
5. Instagram receives the silver medal with 32% of users, Pinterest coming in a close third with 31%, and LinkedIn and Twitter at 29% and 24% respectively, according to Pew Research Center.
6. Reddit has millions of subscribers for 72 reddits. According to Statista from April 2017 to December 2017 over 1.66 billion people had accessed Reddit, 40% from US, followed by Canada and the UK.
Yes, there are other social networks besides Facebook out there.
There’s also a range of advertising opportunities with Google, and according to DMR 44% of global advertising revenue is earned by Google.
With Google you can create Search Ads, Display Ads, Video Ads and more:
- Advertise to people the moment they search for the products or services you offer.
- Reach more potential customers by placing ads on news sites, blogs, and other niche sites across the internet.
- Connect with customers using video ads that play before videos related to your product, or next to YouTube search results.
- Build a great online reputation with local advertising and become your community’s qualified pro.
- Get in front of people searching for products you sell, whether they’re shopping at home or on the go.
- Promote your Android app to over one billion potential customers.
And the list of opportunities doesn’t end here, you can also create campaigns on Affiliate Networks, have your own Referral Program (which will also engage your customers more with your brand), SEO, content distribution and publications on sites where your target audience hangs out and other activities. You can also work on optimizing your conversions by giving special offers – free shipping from $100 and other types of discounts. Gather your email list and send newsletters to your customers.
Focus more on storytelling, adding
more personal touch to your brand and have interactive posts
As people interact more with personal experiences, you should work more on gathering positive reviews. Use creatives that showcase real people and real experiences, make videos that show experience with your product and your brand.
Continue creating and selling products with your designs with Printify, tweaking your customer acquisition strategies according the upcoming changes. As long as you have amazing designs and a clear vision of who your customers are, a little effort will help you find the way to them.
Share the article